The photograph format required for the nonimmigrant visa has changed. This new format is similar to that required for U.S. passport processing. Submit your Nonimmigrant Visa Application, DS-156 with the new photo format, as explained below.
The photograph for each visa applicant must be an unmounted, full-face photo, as described below: –
- The photograph must have been taken within the last six months.
- One photograph must be submitted stapled or glued to the application DS-156.
- The photo for each visa applicant submitted must measure: 2 by 2 inches (roughly 50 mm square) with the head centered in the frame. The head (measured from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin) should measure between 1 inch to 1 3/8 inches (25 mm to 35 mm) with the eye level between 1 1/8 inch to 1 3/8 inches (28 mm and 35 mm) from the bottom of the photo.
- Photo Appearance – Photos should be printed without borders.
- The photograph must be a full-face view in which the visa applicant is facing the camera directly.
- The applicant should not look down or to either side, and the face should cover about 50 percent of the photo area.
- Side or angled views are NOT accepted.
- The photograph may be in color or black and white, but must have only a white or off- white background. Photos with dark, busy, or patterned backgrounds will not be accepted.
- In general, the applicant’ s head, including both face and hair,should be shown from the crown of the head to the tip of the chin on top and bottom and from hairline side-to-side. It is preferable that ears be exposed.
- Head coverings and hats are only acceptable due to religious beliefs, and even then, may not cover any portion of the applicant’ s face.
- Sunglasses or other wear, which detracts from the face, are not acceptable unless required for medical reasons (an eye patch, for example).
- A photograph depicting a person wearing a traditional facemask or veil that does not permit adequate identification is not acceptable.
- Photos of military, airline, or other personnel wearing hats are not acceptable. Photographs of applicants wearing tribal, national costume, or other headgear not specifically religious in nature are not acceptable.
- Digital Photos – Digitally reproduced photographs must be reproduced without discernible pixels or dot patterns. Photocopied photographs are NOT accepted.
- Attaching the Photo to the DS-156 – Staple or glue the one photograph to the DS-156 in the designated space. If the photograph is stapled, staples should be placed as far away as possible from the applicant’ s face.
- Do not enclose photographs in glassine or other types of envelopes. The photograph must be stapled or glued properly to the DS- 156 in the designated space.