7 Day Free Trial at Magoosh.com.

Question From Keerthi: –

Hi admin,
I was recently approved for F-1 visa, I am very happy and excited to do my masters in USA. But I lately came across a worrying thing in my visa annotation part , which says ” will not transfer”. I’m presently not having any thoughts to transfer my school. But in any unavoidable circumstances after going to the school will any issue arise if I intend to transfer later.

Answer From The Admin: –

Firstly Keerthi, Congratulations on getting your F-1 Visa for pursuing your Masters in the USA. There are two types of Students here. One who change their Universities before going to the US and the Second who change their Universities after going to the US. The Number of Students who change their Universities after going to the US are very very few, I would say hardly 1%.

University Transfer Types?

There are two options available for you to transfer to another University after F-1 Visa Stamping: –

  • Select Another University and appear for F-1 Visa Interview again.
  • Transfer to a Different University Y after Joining the University X. (Transfer after going to the US)

If you select the First Option then you have to go through the Entire Process again. That is sending your Documents, getting an admit and going through F-1 Visa Interview again.

If you have option 2 in your mind which as said above, only 1% of the Students choose it, then please go through this link which will provide you with a much better view: –   University Transfer For International Students.

With Respect to your Query visa annotation part , which says ” will not transfer”.

If you want to switch Universities after going to US, you can do it, even though it says will not transfer. There is a provision by which you can transfer to a different University after going to the US. As said above go through this link to get a better understanding on how to do so: – University Transfer For International Students.

My Suggestion: – 

My Suggestion is pretty simple. Do not attempt your Transfer after going to the US because the process can get complex sometimes. So be sure about the University that you will be going to. Check with the Students who are already studying there to get a better view about how the University is.

Some Universities do not allow transfer according to their rules. So if you are planning to switch Universities after going there, check the rules whether the University allows transfer and also check the transfer procedure.

I hope I was able to clear your Doubts.

Types of University Transfer And Is It Possible?

4 thoughts on “Types of University Transfer And Is It Possible?

  • December 11, 2012 at 7:16 am

    Hi ,
    THank you for the detailed reply Srinivas.

    • December 11, 2012 at 8:04 am

      No Probs… And a Nice Username 🙂

  • March 14, 2015 at 6:13 am

    Hi this is VIJAY, I got problem and I’m confused as well. The old school said they can cancel my I-20 and I apply the new visa with the I-20 issued by the new school. But for the SEVIS record, I don’t know if I should transfer it by myself or I need the old school to transfer for me. I’m also not sure if it’s risky to applying the visa again. May I ask what are you planning to do now? and i don’t have any intimation or official mail from college what sholud i do?

  • June 13, 2017 at 12:52 pm

    I got I20 from university X and got visa stamping too. After 5days of issuing visa i got I20 from better university Y. I have a month time before going to USA should I apply for visa slot using univ Y I20 or should go to USA and get transferred there?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Facebook Like Box provided by technology reviews
Get Adobe Flash player