I actually see a lot of people searching whether they can get into a good university with high academics and average GRE or getting a high GRE score and having a low or an average academics. Let’s once and for all clear the uncertainties that most people face.
Firstly getting an admission into a college of your choice depends upon lot of things. Let’s discuss one by one below.
1. GRE Score: – GRE score plays one of the major roles for deciding which colleges you will be able to apply. Depending on the course that you need to join the GRE scores required will vary. Generally if you are willing to pursue MS in any Engineering then normally the colleges looks for your Quant score to be at least 160 and above, for you to get into top universities. This doesn’t mean that you can avoid Verbal. You need to score at least 150 to be on a safer side.
2. TOEFL: – This will be your second barrier that you will need to break through. TOEFL consists of 4 parts Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing with each carrying 30 marks each and a total of 120 marks out of which you need to at least get 100 marks to ensure that you can get into a good university. TOEFL results will be available 2 weeks after you have given the test.
3. Academics: – This also plays a role for getting a college of your choice. We can’t predict that if you have low acads you can’t get this college or so. But generally the colleges require 3.0 GPA. If you have a low academics don’t worry the other things can take care of your academics.
4. Statement Of Purpose (SOP): – This is the deciding factor for your admission in the universities of your choice. Statement Of Purpose can be considered as an essay in which you need to mention the reasons for which you are willing to pursue your studies in a particular field that you have opted for. And mind you, you have to write it perfectly so that the university understands your passion towards the subject to which you will be pursuing your studies.
5. Letter Of Recommendation(LOR): – Letter Of Recommendation as everybody knows is a way of certifying you as a good candidate by a person who has seen you. LOR nowadays are not letters that have to be written but the university will send a mail to the people that you wish should rate you and they can directly rate you by just filling a form. The people if you are working can be your managers, but 1 LOR has to be from your college.
These are the five things that will play a role on whether you can get your desired college or not. All the Best people. May you get the best colleges.