Students going to this fall will be busy preparing a list of things that they need to buy for going to the USA. So I thought of making the shopping list which will help students to purchase the necessary things required while you go to USA or any other country. This list contains all the purchases that a student has to make when he/she is preparing to go to another country for higher studies. This list is also available in pdf version below.
Shopping List And General Guidelines
1) Clothing: –
- T-Shirts & Shorts & Jeans: 3 – 4. Can purchase from US as they are cheap.
- Formals: 4 -5. Carry formals from India as they are costly in USA.
- Business Suit (Formal): 1 – 2 (Preferably Dark Suits such as black and Navy Blue).
- Tie: 2.
- Belts: 2.
- Traditional: 2 at least. This is required since you will be celebrating the various Indian Festivals.
- Sweaters & Jackets & Woolen Cap: 1 – 2. You have to purchase it from US. As Indian Sweaters are not made to withstand the US winter. So purchase sweaters from US but just carry 1 or 2 from India.
- Under Garments: 14 – 15.
- Normal Cap: 1 – 2 for Summer.
Ladies can bring suits & formal skirts with stockings if you like it’s 10$ here.
2) Footwear: –
- Sandals And Floaters: 1 – 2. Better to bring from India if you have it.
- Formal Black Leather Shoes: 1 – 2. Buy it in India as it is costly in USA.
- Sports Shoes: 1. You can purchase from USA as it’s cheap and good over here.
- Shoe Polish: If possible you can purchase this in USA to avoid spillage in your bag.
- Socks: 7 – 8. Purchase from India.
3) Medicines: –
It’s highly recommended that you carry required medicines from India as it’s costly in USA.
- Vicks Vaporub & Inhaler.
- Balm like Amrutangan etc.
- Iodex spray / Relispray for pain relief.
- Burnol antiseptic.
- Painkiller tabs like Combiflam, Brufen. etc.
- Drugs and Antibiotics (for common fever & cold etc) Crocin , Amoxyciillin, Disprin.
- Vaseline and cold cream – Can purchase from USA.
- Any particular medicine that your doctor has prescribed.
- If you are suffering from some illness then carry medicines for that too.
4) Necessary Items: –
- Glasses / Contact Lenses: 2 – 3. Optics very expensive in USA.
- Stitching Kit: 1 for fast repairs of cloths.
- Wallet: 1.
- Hangers: 1 – 2. But you can purchase from US as they are cheaply available.
5) Toiletries: –
- Shaving Blades / Cartridges: 1 – 2.
- Razor: 1 – 2.
- Shaving Cream: 1 – 2. can purchase from USA but carry one for initial periods.
- Shaving Brush: 1.
- After-Shave Lotion: 1 – 2.
- Trimming Scissors: 1.
- Tooth Brush: 2 – 3.
- Tooth Paste: 1.
- Comb: 2.
- Nail Cutter: 1.
- Powder: 1.
- Shampoo: 1.
- Surf: 1 – 2. For washing cloths initially when you arrive in USA.
6) Cooking Utensils: –
- Vessels: They are heavy but if you have fixed the roommates then you can split it.
- Pressure Cooker 3 Liters.
- Spare Dead Weight Valves: 2.
- Spare Safety Valves: 3 – 4.
- Spare Gaskets: 2 – 3.
- Frying Pan (NonStick): 1.
- Spoons: 3 – 4.
- Dishes: 2.
- Steel Glass: 2.
- Pakkad / Tongs: 1.
- Kadhai: 1.
- Microwavable Bowls: 1 – 2. Can be purchased from USA.
- Tea Filter: 1.
- Idly Plates.
My Suggestion: Except pressure cooker, most of the utensils are available here at decent rates. So if you can bring these then please go ahead. Do Not Bring Knives as you may have problems in Airport Security Check.
7) Groceries For Cooking: –
These are easily available in Indian Stores in USA. Bring if you want to. All Items are recommended only if you have luggage space.
- Tea Powder: 1 – 2 Kg.
- Instant Coffee / Nescafe.
- Turmeric Powder / Haldi /Manjal: 500 gm.
- Mustard Seeds / Mouri / Mohari / Raee: 500 gm.
- Red Chilly Powder: 500 gm.
- Garam Masala: 500 gm. If you are using some factory made Garam Masala then you will get it in USA. No need to bring.
- Dhane Powder/Dhania Powder: 500 gm.
- Jeera Powder/Cumin seeds powder: 500 gm. Should be avoided as it can cause problems at the Airport.
- Asofotida / Hing: 100 gm.
- Sambar Masala: .
- Chhole Masala: 3 – 4 packets.
- Pav Bhaji Masala: 3 – 4 packets.
- Tur Dal: 2 Kg.
- Elaichi / Veldoda: 100 gm.
- Clove / Lavang: 100 gm.
- Papad: 2 – 3 packets.
- Aachar / Pickles: Only your homemade or else you can get it in USA.
- Tamarind Powder / Cocum / Tamarind Paste: 1.
- Sugar / Rice / Salt / Atta : No need to Bring.
- Rava / Suji / Poha: 1 Kg.
8) Stationery: –
- School Bag which would carry Laptop too: 1.
- Pen: 2.
- Pencils: 1.
- Sharpner & Eraser: 1.
- Scale: 1.
- Stapler & Stapler Pins: 1.
- Punch: Not required. 3 hole punch required in USA.
- Scientific Calculator: 1.
- Glue Stick / Glue: 1.
- Notebooks and Files are not required.
9) Documents: –
- Passport / Photocopies: Leave a copy in each bag.
- Admission Letter: Leave a copy in each bag.
- I-20 & VISA photocopies: Leave a copy in each bag. Specially in you carry bag.
- Transcripts & Recommendation Letters: Carry it along with you.
- GRE And TOEFL Score Cards.
- Medical Certificate: Leave a copy in each bag.
- Medical Prescriptions of medicines that you carry: Leave a copy in each bag.
- Money and Travelers Check: Carry some loose change as it would be useful.
10) General Instructions: –
# Always have the name and address of the person you will be staying with handy.
# Electronics – as many of you will be aware the voltage is different in America, try to avoid bringing any electronics otherwise bring correct adapters and US wall socket converter.
# Whichever medicines you bring, get the prescription of everything from doctor.
# Get your Resume prepared. This is very important, as this would get you ahead in the race.
# About the food items, contact your travel agent as well as airline and ask them what all is not allowed. This will save some space in your luggage, which you can utilize for some useful thing.
# Better take your mother’s advice on cooking items.
# Don’t buy any electronic item from India unless it is compatible with 110V, 60 Hz supply.
# Can bring laptop from India. You will need to purchase adapter. Laptops are cheaper here so if you plan on buying a new one, its better to get it from here.
PDF Format Of Shopping List
I hope this post was useful.
(Wish You All The Best For Your Masters/PhD And I Welcome You To The United States of America.)