I had written a topic related to Online and Hard-Copy LOR sometime back. But I thought to discuss Online LOR in detail, so that students can get a good idea on how this system works. Many Universities in the US are now using Online LOR System so that they could avoid the old method of Students sending LOR through the Application Package. Here I will discuss exactly how this Online LOR System works.
This is how Online LOR System functions: –
1) First, while filling your Online Application for any University, there will be an option called Recommendations or Recommenders etc. When you click on that option, you will be prompted to give the Recommenders Name and email addresses.
2) After you have submitted the Email Addresses, your Recommenders will receive a email from the University to complete the Online LOR. You will also receive a mail stating that the University has send a email to Recommenders, so that you can follow up with your Recommenders.
3) When your Recommenders click on the link provided by the University, they will first be asked to create a password for their Account.
4) After creating the password, they can log-in to their account. In their Account they will see a set of questions about the Student’s Qualities. They need to tick the check box which they feel is appropriate. Options can be like Best, Very Good, Good, Ok, Not Good. There will be 8 to 9 questions regarding the qualities of a Student which they need to rate.
5) After rating the Student, Recommenders will be asked to write about 20 lines on the Student and why Recommenders feel the Student should be admitted. Here Recommenders just need to upload the doc. file of the LOR, that you would have given to them.
6) Final step is to complete the LOR by clicking on submit. After they submit it, you will be receiving a mail from the University stating your Recommenders have completed the LOR.
This is how online LOR Functions.
A Sample Online LOR of a University: –
I am sharing with you an Online LOR of a University. This will give you an idea about this system.
To The Recommenders: –
Below are the First details of the form which your Recommenders must fill out.
- How long you have know the Applicant?
Please Rate the Applicant on the Qualities below: –
There will be Check boxes for all the options and Recommenders must click on one of the Check box for each Quality.
|Qualities||Top 5%||Top 15%||Top 25%||Top 50%||Below 50%|
|Oral Expression In English|
|Written Expression in English|
|Ability to Work Independently|
|Ability to Work Well with Others|
Please use the space provided below or attach an additional letter to this form to make any additional comments you think important concerning the applicant.
Here your Recommenders can either write themselves about you or you can give them the LOR that they can just upload/attach it.
General Questions: –
1) Has the applicant acquired the necessary skills for successful study at the graduate level?
2) Is there any reason you would not recommend the applicant for admission?
3) I recommend this applicant for admission as follows
- Strongly Recommend.
- Recommend with Reservations.
- Do not Recommend.
This will be the entire online LOR. I hope this gave you a good idea about the Online LOR System.
Common Faqs Related to Online LOR: –
1) The email id’s of Recommenders should be the official email id’s or I can give their gmail or yahoo email id’s to the University?
Answer: – Whether your Recommender is an Employer or your Professors, it’s really good to give their official email addresses, i.e. their Company or College email addresses. This is just to show their Authenticity.
2) What should I do if Recommenders do not have their official email addresses?
Answer: – In case your Recommenders do not have an official email address, then ask the Recommenders to upload a scanned copy of the LOR which is printed on the college letterhead, and signed by the Recommender Otherwise, University can doubt the credibility of the email ids that you provide.
I hope I was able to give entire details regarding the Online LOR System. If you have any queries, please use to the comment box below to ask them.
image credit: – thesituationist.wordpress.com