I know this time of the year very well as I have gone through it myself. Shopping and Packing are the only two things students would be doing who are going to come to the USA this fall 2015. One of the important things while packing are medicines. It’s always good to carry all the medicines from India as Medications in USA are very costly. I would suggest you to go to your family doctor and get prescriptions of all the medicines you would be requiring.
Here’s the list of important medicines that I strongly suggest you carry:
• Crocin tablets (paracetamol 500 mg)- 3 strips For fever, body ache, and headache. One tablet three times a day as necessary. Above 60 kg please use 650 mg tablets (thermol/dolo). For fevers, mild pain relief Actifed tablets – 2 strips (side effect drowsiness) A costlier but much better alternative is Alerid (cetrizine) or Neoloridin(loridine)less sedation and next to no side effects
• Azithromycin 500 mg tablets (aziwin) – 3 strips. One tablet once a day for atleast 3 days …use if you have a bacterial cold or Respiratory infection … (most common symptom being dark yellow colored mucus, fever, etc.).NOT NEEDED FOR ordinary cold (white mucus, watery secretions)
• Sporidex 500mg capsules – 2 strips. One tablet twice a day when necessary as advised (please don’t use on your own. This stuff needs a prescription to be used properly … meant only for persistent troublesome infections)
• Avomine tablets – 1 strip for air/ motion sickness. One tablet as necessary.(causes drowsiness)
• Lomotil/Andial tablets– 15 (for diarrhea) But remember the best treatment for diarrhea is plenty of fluids, some good rest and bland food.
• Omeprazole 20 mg .For gastritis.Can be take once or twice a day
• Digene tablets- 20 mg. For stomach discomfort .One each three times a day.
• Spasmoproxyvon capsules – 3 strips for abdominal colic pain, backache, menstrual pain etc. One tablet every 6 hours or as necessary.
• Domstal tablets – 10. For vomiting .Has to be taken atleast half an hr before food
• Electral powder – 2 packets. One teaspoonful mixed with drinks to make up loss of Electrolytes after vomiting & diarrhoea
• Novalgin – 2 strips for headache & bodyache. One tablet as necessary.
• Brufen 600mg tablets – 2 strips. For arthirtic joint pain. One tablet three times a day after food.
• Avil Tablets – 1 strip for allergy (use cetrizine/loridin for less sedation), One tablet as necessary.
• Relaxyl ointment – 1 tube to be applied as pain balm.
• Band Aid assorted – 12
• Soframycin skin ointment – 1 tube
• Nimesulide tabs. For the severest of headaches and pains. (But banned in the US). 100mg upto 3 times a day
• Ciplox capsules 500 mg. 2 strips.1 capsules twice a day. For Infective diarrheas
• Vitamin B-complex capsules .Just in case your starving yourself out there
NOTE: Remember to have prescriptions with you for all the medicines you will be carrying to USA. There may be customs check in USA and you may have to present them appropriate prescriptions with doctors letter head for the medicines you have or else they would throw away.